Friday, October 30, 2009

An attempt at putting the Monsters of Folk show tonight into words

I went to see Monsters of Folk tonight at the Orpheum Theatre in Minneapolis. Even though I've been in love with Conor Oberst's music and lyrics for probably at least 6 years now, and this is arguably the best project he's been in (in my opinion, anyway) - I still hesitated at the hefty price tag for a show. The $48 ticket, plus all those damn fees added up to a whopping $72.95 for one show. The only other type of show I've spent that kind of money on is Cirque du Soleil, and they have a helluva lot bigger overhead and people involved than Monsters of Folk, I guarantee it.

Still, I missed Conor with the Mystic Valley Band the last two times he was in town (cigarettes and Monster energy drinks obviously took precedence over my favorite artist - and I've never smoked tobacco or drank a Monster energy drink in my life - boooo). This was my big treat to myself this month, and I couldn't be happier with my choice.

Because my putzy self got going later than I had originally intended, completely forgetting how crappy Hwy 62 is at approximately 6 p.m., Adam, Marit and I did not end up having a lovely Thai dinner at a real sit-down restaurant. They wanted to go to.......I think it's called "Taste of Thailand"? It's Adam's favorite Thai restaurant, but it's in St. Paul - too far away (good goin' Q). No worries. I picked Adam up at the Midtown Commons (where he works, and stayed after for happy hour tonight), we got in touch with Marit, and we headed to Uptown. The restaurant that took the place of Sawatdee on Hennepin (Roat Osha) was super packed and it was getting late, so I voted for Chipotle. I know, I know - but I freakin' love Chipotle and there aren't any in Kato, so I was still very happy. Mmmmmmm......burrito......

We ate & went in separate directions. Adam had band practice tonight and I kept on Hennepin, paid the annoying $10 to park, and walked through the rain to the Orpheum.

I was afraid that I would be a bit late, but my timing couldn't have been more perfect. The lines to get in were already more or less through, and I had just enough time to get one overpriced beer and find my seat.

The Orpheum was the perfect venue for this show, and as soon as I sat down and took one sip of my Summit, the lights went down and they came on. I was up in the balcony, on the right-hand side when looking at the stage. Top row in the bottom section, so I didn't have far to go for my seat.

They opened with "Say Please", which I'm assuming is their radio song, since that's what they played on Conan. I suppose if I ever listened to the radio, I would know this, but alas - I generally don't. I've never really been "in the know" and that doesn't appear to be changing anytime in the near future. :)

All 5 guys (Conor Oberst, Mike Mogis, Yim Yames, M. Ward, and the drummer - Will Johnson, who isn't on the album, but is touring with them) were quite dapper in their suits and ties, but I would've honestly been just as thrilled had I been blind. Granted, I would have missed Conor's super shiny shoes and M.'s green three-piece suit (I do love a vest on a man...oh and suspenders....which I didn't actually see tonight. I still feel the need to share this love of suspenders with the world), but DAMN - the music was just incredible. I don't think there's a bad seat at the Orpheum, and the only time my view was blocked was when people in front of me came and went for more overpriced drinks, or to presumably break the seal. I, for one, was not about to leave my seat until it was over. Really people? Is a drink that important? Maybe if you didn't drink so much, you wouldn't need to go to the bathroom so much. Just a thought.

There was no intermission at this lovely Monsters of Folk show. They took small breaks one or two at a time, and played solo or in pairs when they weren't all onstage together, throughout the entire show. They also traded instruments at almost every single song. Even Will, the drummer, came out and played guitar with Yim Yames for a song. He's got one helluva voice, too. I'm 99% sure they played every single song on the Monsters of Folk album that was released in September, and they also played a bunch of songs from Bright Eyes, M. Ward, and My Morning Jacket. Conor and Mike played a Bright Eyes song from "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning" called "We Are Nowhere, and It's Now". On the album he sings it with Loretta Lynn and it's gorgeous. He sang it alone tonight, with Mike playing guitar as well, and dedicated it to the owner of the 400 Bar, because Conor wrote it in the parking lot after playing there years ago. I thought that was a fun fact. :)

I didn't count, but I bet there were probably 10-15 guitars floating about up there, in addition to bass, an electric keyboard/synthesizer, a piano, drum kit with various things like timpani mallets and chimes, steel drums and bongos, triangles, shaker eggs & tambourines. Oh - and of course the steel guitar that Mike Mogis can rock like no other.

The show wasn't sold out, but it was certainly full. Depending on the song, the audience was either grinning and clapping along, nodding heads, hollerin' & whistling, or completely silent and hanging on every note. I could feel the energy moving in my hands by the second song in, and over the course of the next 3 hours, it moved to my face & legs, my heart swelled and my chest got tight and then I'd start laughing, because Yim would dance like Elvis with his legs and Conor would crawl up and hop off an amp. He did that little foot kick thing too, which also was cause for a grin. The lights were perfectly synchronized with the music, changing and adding an additional layer of emotion to each song. The center of my chest was actually sore by the end of the 5 song encore, the only time during the show when we all stood up. Thanks to the stadium seating, even my five foot self could still see.

When the show was finally over, I didn't wait around at all. I perused the merchandise, but it was all too expensive for my broke ass, so I wandered back out into the rain, smiling to myself and excited to write, write, write, write!

You know, in a world where we are constantly bombarded with how ugly and full of hatred humanity can be (especially on the news), nights like these make me grateful to be alive and part of the world. It reminded me of how beautiful art can touch the soul and connect a theater full of strangers, singing along to the same songs, part of something sincerely magical, if only for a few hours.

much love,

~Q~

3 comments:

  1. Correction: I just learned that Mankato DOES, in fact, have at least one Chipotle. How have I not discovered this yet? Man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 chipotle's one by the college and one by Walmart
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well there you go. I'm not really on campus much, if ever, and I think I've trained myself to block out the Walmart....apparently Chipotle is near my "don't make eye contact with Walmart - it'll steal your soul" line of view.

    ReplyDelete